Re: Deleting formats across a book file

Hedley said:
From: Hedley Finger <hedley.finger@ericsson.com.au>
> > Is there any way I can delete formats across a book file? I deleted them
<snip>
>I have found it far quicker to create an empty document as a template.
>Then select all in flow in the existing document, copy, and paste into
>the new document.  This is far quicker than trying to clean out the
>remnant DNA that accumulates in documents over time.

Caution: I've been using this approach for a long time. And then I began
expediting my tag updates by importing formats from the current document
onto itself, which appropriately applies the template styles to any tags
that have the correct para or char tag, while leaving those paragraphs or
character tags that don't exist in the catalogs appropriately asterisked *
as uncatalogued content.

HOWEVER...I've discovered a non-obvious problem in how Frame implements
this:
when my copied and pasted text contains outdated variables or
cross-references, this import-to-self step adds those variables and
cross-references to those available in the template, making it more
difficult to eradicate that remnant DNA in some of the subtler places that
template designers (like me) love to curse. The table tags seem to work that
way, too. I wish FrameMaker operated consistently in all its import
features.

Deborah Snavely, Senior Technical Writer, Aurigin Systems, Inc.