Re: Frame failure to launch on Mac OS 9 // RE: NT Blue Screenwith FrameMaker

Ananda Stevens wrote:

>Ummm. I have a somewhat similar problem on OS 9. Whenever I start Frame
>5.5.6, it gets about halfway through the splash screen messages, then
>crashes. (The "serious error -> must quit" guru meditations.) This happens
>EVERY time I try to start Frame, no matter which method I use to start it.
>I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Frame, but no dice. Conflict Catcher
>came up empty. I tried reinstalling OS 9. None of my other apps are acting
>up at all. Has anyone else seen this or have any clue what the hey I do
>next?

A few things to try, most likely to least:

  - In the Appearances control panel, make sure "Large System Font"
    is either Chicago or Charcoal. This gave me NO END of fits when
    I upgraded to MacOS 8 and I immediately fell in love with Gadget.
    This is a FrameMaker bug; I'm not sure if it's been fixed in 6.0.

  - Trash the FrameMaker Preferences file. Sometimes preferences files
    get corrupted, and the app dies trying to make sense of them. If
    your AppleShare prefs get corrupted, the system often hangs at
    boot time. But it's an easy fix.

  - Worst case, reboot and hold down the Shift key to turn off extensions.
    Sometimes, Conflict Catcher... misses.

	Larry