Converting many big Word docs to Frame

Hi;

I did a search in the archives at Frameusers but didn't find anything
really germane.

We have to go to a subsidiary and convert their Word docs to Frame and our
template.  Their documents apparently are one file, anywhere from 10 to
500+ (!) pages.  Word 97, I believe.  Their para tags are different names,
naturally.

There are a number of ways to do the conversion, and I'm sure that bumbling
through would do the job.  But is there a generally best way?

For instance, one could redo all the style names in Word, then import,
removing format overrides.  Or one could import the doc, and work with
styles in Frame.  Another concern I have is that the import document filter
used to pull in Word is not too robust; I've had it crash on me quite a bit.

Any pointers to information greatly appreciated.

Ed (one less Word doc suite) Treijs