Re: Index tabs that bleed

*** The original message appeared on the FrameUsers list.

From: <Don.Laux@SolimarSystems.com>
> I would like to use automated bleed tabs in a user manual. We have an
> in-house Xerox LPS production printer that is All-Points-Addressable,
> meaning it can print bleeds without the need for trimming the pages.
>
> Apparantly, there is a book out there that has a technique for an automated
> bleed tab that increments and bumps its position down the page with each
> increment. Unfortunately, The Frame Handbook (Branagan, L. and M. Sierra;
> O'Reilly and Assoc., 1994; ISBN 1-56592-009-0) is out of print, and a
> search of Amazon, BarnesandNoble, and BooksMatter yielded nothing.

First of all, there's an Adobe FM template that contains bleed tabs,
you may want to check that out first. Go to:
http://www.adobe.com/products/framemaker/tempseries/1templates.html
and check the BkStyle5 template.

If you really want to check out Mike Sierra's technique, and some other
old thumbtab options, check the following files at
http://w1.133.telia.com/~u13304072/framers/thumbtabs

SierraThumbs.txt: Mike Sierra's technique from Feb. '93
Thumbtabs.txt: a couple of other techniques from Apr. '93
Bleeds.txt: longer discussions ranging from '95 through '98

Thomas Michanek, [Michagon], Linkoping, Sweden
Documentation Consultant, FrameMaker/UNIX expert
EMAIL:  mailto:Thomas.Michanek@telia.com
WWW:    http://go.to/framers , or go directly to:
        http://w1.133.telia.com/~u13304072/framers