Sideheads and Master/Body Pages

I just tried to convert a book without room for sideheads to one with
sideheads.

I changed the master pages and hit Apply. The master pages were updated,
but the
body pages did not show sideheads.

On the body pages I went ahead and created room for sideheads (checked
the box on
the Column Layout dialog box), and POOF! -- the sidehead area appeared.

Is this normal behavior? I even clicked File->Import->Formats from
current,
unchecked all the boxes, then checked remove manual overrides (before
using
the Column Layout dialog on the body pages) and clicked OK. That did not
do the trick.

I thought that once a modified master page was applied to a body page
where there were
no body page overrides, the changes in the master page would be
immediately reflected
in the body page. What am I missing?

FM 5.5.6 on Solaris 2.6.

Ezra