RE:online Documents

A week or two ago, I posted a lengthy dissertation that cited experimental
results indicating substantial reductions in comprehension and retention
when when people attempt to read typical on-line docs, particularly those
of a technical nature.  Those and other studies also indicated that there
are significant improvements when such documents resemble the typography
and layout of well-designed printed books. A number of you asked me to
provide some citations for those findings.

Although I believe most net surfers and users of  on-line help would
confirm these findings from their own experience,  I provide below some
additional citations bearing on the issues discussed in my earlier post on
this thread.

First, try the "Human-Computer Interactions Bibliography" at
http://www.hcibib.org. This site has a pretty good search engine and a big
list of abstracts.

This recent thesis addresses the issue. Also the bibliography in this
thesis seems to have several relevant references:
http://www.users.redcreek.net/mullanp/Thesis/intro.htm

Dr. Jakob Neilsen has a web site with a big collection of his articles on
web readability and usability: http://www.useit.com/
Take a look at the list of articles under the "Alertbox" heading, then
browse around. Given his status in the field, he would probably be a good
person to ask about further sources.

| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646