Win9x: AdobePS 4.4 printer driver - problems related to text

[ I am not usually posting to the two Framers lists, assuming most subscribers
are on both lists. This is an exception, because of the potential implications
to FM/Win95-98 users producing PDFs ]

Adobe's web site has a new universal Windows printer driver installer,
which installs a new AdobePS 4.4 driver on Windows 9x; Adobe PS 5.1.2 on
Windows NT (and a different driver for Windows 2000).

I recommend not to use the new AdobePS 4.4 printer driver (Win95/Win98) for
PDF production.  Keep using AdobePS 4.3.1, included in the Acrobat 4.05 CD
(AdobePS 4.3.1 was removed from Adobe's web site).

FrameMaker 5.5.x (and possibly other releases):
Several common Adobe Type 1 fonts -- including Helvetica, Times, Avantgarde
and Bookman - end up as MSTT31xxx fonts in the PDF. Text copied & pasted
results in boxes; with other fonts you might have missing letters (mostly
vowels, in some or all paragraphs). The Find function in the resulting PDFs
will therefore become useless or unreliable.

Excel97:
Text using the "problem" fonts is transformed to a bitmap in the PDF, and
the text is not even selectable (and not reported in Acrobat's Font Info
dialog box).

Word97:
I did not notice a similar problem when using Word97 in conjunction with
the new driver.

If you install this driver, or if it will be installed automatically when
installing an Adobe application, carefully inspect a few typical PDFs
before adopting the driver for regular work.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType * http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker-to-Acrobat: TimeSavers / Advanced Techniques Course / Solutions