Re: Hidden Para Tag AutoNumber Showing Up in PDF -- HELP

At 11:42 AM 4/6/00 -0700, Carley, Vikki A wrote:
>We use an AutoNumber scheme for one paragraph tag and turn it off before
>PDFing.  We pick up hundreds of these tags via cross-reference when creating
>various appendices, so the number is important for internal processing
>purposes.  The character tag for the AutoNumber is "green" and we use the
>"View" "Color" feature to turn off green before we print the master and
>create our PDF.  While the AutoNumber does not show up in printed document,
>it does appear in the PDF bookmark for that paragraph tag - even though
>we've clearly hidden it and it doesn't appear on the screen.
>
>It appears that the distiller is not able to understand that an AutoNumber
>in a para tag is turned off (or hidden) and leave it out of the bookmark.
>
>We have distilled manually and in the one-step and tried various print
>drivers and various versions of Acrobat.  We also discovered that you cannot
>use the separations feature (which was one idea) AND get PDF bookmarks, and
>our users rely on bookmarks.
>
>Does anyone have an idea as to how we can get Acrobat to ignore the hidden
>AutoNumber associated with a paragraph tag?  We cannot delete the AutoNumber
>from the paragraph tag, so it needs to be an idea that includes having the
>AutoNumber.  Thanks.
You can't possibly expect FrameMaker-to-Acrobat bookmark generator to know
that the color green is turned off so as to conceal the autonumbers in the
text body. You're approaching the problem all wrong. Why don't you create a
surrogate template in which all paragraph formats are identical to the
"master" template except for the tag that has the autonumber. In the
surrogate template, turn the autonumbering off for that paragraph tag. Now,
import formats from the surrogate template into your document files with
only paragraph formats checked, and remove format overrides turned on. Then
export to PDF.
     | Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646