RE: printing/displaying line numbers?

There isn't a simple answer in getting this to work in FrameMaker. As long as there is a common line spacing in body flow para formats, setting this up on a master page outside your text flow can fake line numbering. Although the line numbers restart on each page and won't exactly match every line in every situation (e.g. graphics, headings with larger line spacing), it can at least mimic the precise navigation intended.

I've experimented somewhat with a conditional text tag on the numbers outside the text column to turn line numbering on/off. Using one of the freely available FrameScripts, one can simplify this even further.

As a Templar (in the sense of one who religiously defends FrameMaker template integrity), I find this option still isn't ideal. I'd like to keep this sort of practice out of the official templates just to keep things simple.

For me, the ideal is a FrameScript that adds a text frame on the master pages, writes in the page numbers with appropriate line spacing, and then allows a simple toggle on/off feature. A script could be written to take effect across the whole book at once. Of course, FrameScript has to be purchased for every writer needing the functionality, but that's an easy sell considering the other automation benefits.

Unfortunately, writing such a script is beyond my present knowledge. Keep me posted on any other ideas. If I can master this in FrameScript, I'll be happy to share. Just don't hold your breath, as bug free line numbering scripts are elusive prey.

Line numbering hunter,

Jason Aiken
Frame Templar