SUMMARY: RERE advanced FrameMaker

An offline response, notably cogent and pertinent to the questions I
asked, assured me that my impressions of the situation were not offbase.

Upon reviewing the guideline material I received when I subscribed to the
list I turned up two relevant items, both in the list of posters'
responsibilities:

1.  - Post only accurate information. If you're posting verifiable
technical information, tips, or instructions, take the time to ensure that
they're accurate. If you don't have the time to ensure that your message
is completely accurate using authoritative sources, don't post it.

The case referred to by my original query arose when I pointed out the
inaccuracy of a poster's response to a query; my pointing out the
inaccuracy was typified as an attack by the poster of the inaccurate
response. Typifying my correction of his inaccuracy as an "attack", aside
from being unprofessional, was itself ad hominem ("marked by an attack on
an opponent's character rather than by an answer to his contentions"), in
that it recast my correction as aggressive and unwarranted, and thus
brought my character, rather than my ideas, into the question.

This response to my correction from the poster of the inaccurate response
abdicated another of the 'poster responsibilities' mentioned in the list
guidelines:

2. - Be nice. Attack ideas, not personalities, and stay nice in off-line
commentary as well.

I hope this sort of thing doesn't come up often, but subsequent postings
on the topic indicate I can expect a lot of it, along with the usual
impertinent responses to any query (e.g., my job is not real, I ought to
shut up).

regards,
Eric

James Eric Lawson