Re: acceptable discourse [was: advanced FrameMaker]

At 01:19 PM 3/28/00 -0800, Rhea Tolman wrote:
>--------------------------Snip
>such, they are useful to listmembers. And in general, a positive tone--"up with
>X"--is always welcome, but negative postings--"down with Y"--are dubious at
best.
You must be a boosters club/chamber-of-commerce-type-person. Exactly why is
a negative report about a product or company any more "dubious" than a
promotional piece?

I think most of us would tend to assign more veracity to a well-documented
report on a product deficiency, bug, or bad experience with a company than
we would assign to promotioal pieces from, say, an Adobe VAR, who would risk
immediate cancellation by Adobe of his resellers license if he made negative
comments about Adobe products on the list.

I have noted that, particularly on BradFramers, postings critical of a
product or company often produce a flood of rebuttals from persons (e.g.,
VARs, trainers, "certified experts") who are motivated by their unrevealed
vested interest in the product or company being criticized.

     | Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646