Re: Frame 6.0 - Full version of Acrobat?

Kay Ethier writes:
>Keep in mind, though, that the price did not RISE when the
>Acrobat software was included as a bonus.
It did too rise.
Also, you'll recall that FM5.5 also came with Type On Call (TOC), and an
offer for free postscript fonts was included in the box. By following the
instructions about this offer, Adobe would fax back a key that unlocked some
200 fonts on the TOC CD. Has anyone asked whether this font "bonus" has also
been omitted in V6.0? I'll be it has.
> Also note that WebWorks Publisher standard ed. is included
> with Frame this time so there is still a bonus tool.
1. Why isn't WWP Standard Edition mentioned anywhere on the Quadralay web
site? I could find nothing about it on Saturday, March 18.

2. Why hasn't Adobe included a list of the capabilities and limitations of
WWP standard edition (hereafter called WWP lite) in the info about V6.0?

3. Why didn't Adobe leave the old built-in HTML export code in place in V6.0
for those who've heavily invested in its use, and who don't wish to start
over with the extremely limited capabilities of WWP lite, or with the very
expensive WWP 2000?

4. Why hasn't Adobe included in the info about V6.0 the fact that the full
Acrobat 4.0 is not included, and that new nomenclature has arisen for the
first time that breaks the Acrobat 4.0 product down into separable
subcomponents?

FrameMaker 6.0 is being fraudulantly promoted by Adobe and its minions,
including some of those with a vested interest in WWP.

Anyone with a vested interest in WWP knows perfectly well that a classic
bait and switch is underway. You pay for the WWP lite "bonus" in lieu of
(according to Ethier) the full Acrobat 4.0 product, and then discover WWP
lite won't do the job. Next, you discover that the old HTML code has been
ripped out of FM, so you can't fall back on that. And finally, it dawns on
you that you've been had, and must now shell out another $900 to buy WWP
2000, whether you need it or not, because there is no viable alternative if
you must produce HTML or XML from unstructured FM documents.

The same bait and switch tactic is being used with Acrobat. Adobe has up
until now, promoted Acrobat 4.0 as a single software product with no
separable subcomponents. Consequently, anyone reading the FM 6.0
announcement would assume that the full Acrobat 4.0 product is being
offerred as part of FM. So, you buy V6.0 and discover that it's not
everything but only Distiller, which means you've got to shell out another
$250 for a full Acrobat license, or another $100 for an upgrade from V3.0x
to V4.0x.
     | Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646