Re: [FrameSGML] FM 6.0 and Unicode

Dan Emory wrote:

> It should not be a big deal to build a post-processor that scans exported
> XML document instances for those entity references, and replaces them with
> the corresponding Unicode value.
>
> It also shouldn't be a big deal to build a pre-processor that would scan an
> XML document instance (conforming to some prescribed DTD) and convert
> Unicode characters corresponding to those in the ISO PUBLIC character sets
> to entity references (the pre-processor would also have to massage a few
> other things in the XML document instance to turn it into SGML that conforms
> to the same DTD as the one declared in the XML).

Dan, what a constructive idea! So much so that I will offer my assistance, if
required. I was already thinking of writing a preprocessor to convert XML
instances into SGML, so it would seem that if we got together, we could do it
all at once.

> It might even be possible to implement these pre-and post-processors as
> FM+SGML plug-ins. Does this sound feasible, and if so, do you think we could
> interest a third-party software developer (e.g., BlueBerry or Omni Systems)
> in implementing it?

I was thinking of using OmniMark because you need to involve a parser for the
structural stuff, but we have connected OmniMark and FrameMaker+SGML via an API
client numerous times - would that suffice?

Now for the slight problem - I'm in the office on Saturday morning with my
family, who are anxiously awaiting going on holidays in about ten minutes. I'm
gone for nine days and I plan NOT to check my email. If you're making any moves
or decisions, please mail me direct as I subscribe to the digest and will likely
have to blast them without reading when I get back.

I'm on the record - I think it's a great idea. I wanted more too, but we didn't
get it.

--
Regards,

Marcus Carr                      email:  mrc@allette.com.au