Alternative to Word and Frame for Marketing papers

Hello Framers -

A colleague has just spent a couple of weeks creating a 40 page
white paper in MS Word, with all the well-known frustrations and
inefficiencies that entails.

Matt asked me if I knew of a better package than Word (duh!). Of
course Frame eats this sort of task for lunch, but I don't think
it's so suitable for an occasional user who won't have anyone on
site to ask if he gets stuck (he is both 'differently hemisphered'
and 'differently timezoned' from me).

Can any of you experienced folk recommend a package that is:
- fairly simple and easy to learn
- reliable (graphics and page breaks stay put)
- well suited to creating 10 - 50 page documents with TOC, text,
  headings, tables, diagrams, and screen shots
- strong on output to PDF, but does HTML & paper too

There's MS Publisher and I guess Adobe has something in this line,
but I haven't used them. Do they fit the bill? Any others?

Thanks
---
Stuart Burnfield
mailto:stuartb@tpg.com.au