RE: Some extra data about Frame 6

>>> And, when you reach the end of one chapter, new automated text-editing
>>> features move the edit point to the next chapter instantly.

>> We're doing multiple books from the same files via
>> conditional text. And we have a version control system that requires
>> you to check files out before you can write to them. If Frame
automatically
>> opens the next chapter, it's bypassing one of the safety measures we
>> set up for a multi-person work group. If you make changes to a chapter
>> that someone else is working on...!

> if you don't have the chapter file checked out of your revision control
> system it won't do this, but if the next chapter is available in the
> logical location for its place in the book (which would indicate that
> it has been checked out) , it will.

Are you saying that the new version of Frame will be able to tell if a file
is checked out from the RCS? Or that the auto-open-next-file feature will
not open the file if it's write-protected?

> Surely you don't have all the unchecked out files out there ready
> to be opened within your editing directory, do you?

Ummm... everything's on networked drives under source control management; if

all the files weren't in exactly the same directory structure, the xrefs
would
all get broken. <Confusion on this end: my initial reaction was "Of course
we do -- how else could we keep everything intact? Make copies of a 1.7-gig
directory tree and its five thousand files?" (Yes, those are fairly-accurate

numbers.) Can you explain what you had in mind as the alternative?>

> If so, they wouldn't be editable copies, right.,
Editable, yes. Writable, no. (Thank everything for the "Save As" command.)

> and having them out there "pretending" to be checked out is a mistake.
???
> Accidently editing such files by opening them in any fashion would result
> in the same problem whether FrameMaker opened them for you automatically
> or not.
If FrameMaker automatically opens them, it increases the potential for
error.
I'd rather know which files I'm opening AND have Frame tell me if the file
is write-protected, or have Frame give me the option to check out the file
and then open it....

> (It's not as if you don't notice that you've just moved into a new file.)
Haven't seen the feature yet, so can't comment.

Hmmm. What would happen if you're editing a file that's a text inset and
you get to its end? ........ and if that text inset is included in multiple
other files, I wonder how Frame would know which one to go to next?

</end speculation>