RE: Some extra data about Frame 6

Questions/Comments...

> FrameMaker 6.0 now supports PDF 1.3 and includes Acrobat Distiller 4.0.5,

Hey -- isn't that the one that was instantly replaced by 4.0.6???

> New book-wide commands mean that now you can ... change chapter templates
> across an entire book.

I sure hope you can select files to work on -- I do NOT want my chapter
files using my TOC templates or vice versa.

> And, when you reach the end of one chapter, new automated text-editing
> features move the edit point to the next chapter instantly.

This is a "feature"?!? If you can't turn this "feature" off, I'd rather
stick with 5.5.6!! We're doing multiple books from the same files via
conditional text. And we have a version control system that requires
you to check files out before you can write to them. If Frame automatically
opens the next chapter, it's bypassing one of the safety measures we
set up for a multi-person work group. If you make changes to a chapter
that someone else is working on...!

I can see it now...
Don gets to the end of chapter 6 in his book, and chapter 7 opens. He
makes all kinds of changes in chapter 7. When he tries to save it, no dice.
He hasn't checked chapter 7 out of the version control system. Meanwhile,
I'm working on what is chapter 7 in Don's book -- but in my book, it's
chapter 6. I get to the end of the book, and it goes to MY chapter 7 --
and guess what, it's chapter 6 in Don's book. (Hey, not too unbelievable;
one of us forgot to make a change to one of many book files.) So then I
go and make all sorts of changes in my chapter 7, try to save, and bang.
Now we have two versions of each chapter. I have yet to see the version
control system that allows a clean, intelligent merge of two Frame files
when something like this happens. So we have to use Frame's Compare
Documents tool, create the composite docs, and clean them up. Probably
at least a day's work per file, maybe more.

Nutshell result: a "feature" intended to save you a few seconds costs
you a day's work.

--Ananda Stevens
ananda.stevens@windriver.com