Re: What's new in 6.0

At 09:05 PM 3/13/00 -0000, Mark Barratt wrote:

>What excitable people we are! The FM6 launch is just hours old: a lot of the
>things that we are all concerned about may not be in the headline what's new
>statement.
It's hard to believe they wouldn't include Unicode implementation in the
first announcement if it were there. For FM+SGML, the ability to import and
export fully compliant XML, including the ability to produce style
information derived from EDD format rules (with no limitations on context)
would certainly be mentioned if it were there.

>If the software is signed off to manufacturing, there must be documentation,
>with a full 'what's new in this release' and list of bugs fixed. If Lee
>could find and publish these we could all see for ourselves what's in there.
Yes, the bug fixes may be determinative of whether 6.0 is worthy of being
called a new major release. The trouble is that most of the long-lingering
bugs (e.g. footnotes and endnotes) are regarded by Adobe as "features" not
bugs, and changing the behavior of those "features" would be called an
enhancement, not a bug fix.
The fact is, however, that we can conclude from the New Features list that
V6.0 has as its sole justification for being that bookwide commands have
been added, plus WWP light, which is a way for Quadralay to get people
interested in buying their top-of-the-line product. That is a truly pitiful
list of new features for a product that hasn't seen a new major release (I
don't count 5.5 as a major release) in 4 years.
     | Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646