RE: Memory Problems

I've run into the same problem that Lori (Imarra) has. It's not the
hard drive getting full that's the problem. (THAT is fixable!)

The machine starts acting flaky. It hangs for no discernible reason.
It really does look and act like a "permanent memory leak": shortly
after a system rebuild, my machine would use about 65MB of RAM after
a reboot. Now it's up to 95MB. (This is from the "MEM Usage" stat
in Task Mangager.)

I've kicked all the extraneous stuff out of my startup folders.
I empty my temp directory on a regular basis. I run Diskeeper to
defrag the drive (it runs overnight about every other day). I've
defragged the paging file and the directories. I've run three
different virus scanning programs on it. I have to restart the
machine fairly frequently -- this thing hangs or blue screens a
lot. Sometimes, several times a day; sometimes, not for several
days in a row. And the baseline RAM usage continues to increase.

I have a whole bunch of Adobe software installed, plus Office,
Outlook, Visio 2k, and an NT-to-UNIX system. I've rebuilt this
thing twice, and it's acting flaky enough that I'm considering
doing it again.

I've had three different IT people look at this machine, and NONE
of them could figure out why my machine keeps having problems.
If you have any idea what's going on here, we'd love the input.

--Ananda Stevens
ananda.stevens@windriver.com