can a table column be made conditional?

Framers,
I have no trouble making table rows conditional, but Framemaker does not
want to make a table column conditional. When I select an entire column and
try to change its condition, I get the following message, "Select complete
row(s) before applying condition tags."
It would be OK for me to simply make the text a certain condition, except
that the text that I want to make conditional has a graphic associated with
it as part of the para format. When I select the entire para (by
triple-clicking) and make it conditional, and then hide that condition, I
am left with the graphic and no text. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Lori M