Re: What is Site is for

At 12:49 PM 3/4/00 -0500, Robert J. Opitz wrote:
>Another issue I've seen in some newsgroups is access. Outside of North
America, many people still pay for the Internet by the minute, and throwing
a few more E-mails into the outbox will annoy the boss far less than
spending time searching the FAQ for who knows how long.

>Then, too, some companies give employees E-mail but not Internet access,
for whatever reasons. (I don't know if anyone on this list faces this. It
seems counterproductive, but how many of us make the rules?) What do they do
when they're told to search the FAQ and their response is "How can I?"
There's an easy solution to the drawbacks you describe. When a new
subscriber signs on, the list administrator sends the FAQ as an email. The
new subscriber is instructed to create a mailbox named FAQ and keep the FAQ
there permanently. Updates to the FAQ can also be handled this way. One
could argue that plain text without tables or graphics is not good enough
for a FAQ. The obvious rejoinder to that is that anything posted to the list
to help someone with a problem is also limited to plain text. Note also that
a FAQ in the form of an email can include links to other sites where more
information is available. Opening the permanently stored FAQ email and
clicking on a link will fire up the web browser, which displays the
specified page on the remote site.
     | Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646