Re: More general cross-platform graphics rules

From: Joan Thomas <JTHOMAS@dictaphone.com>
Subject: Framemaker PC to Framemaker MAC Problems with linking to BMP Graphics
>I created a fm file on 5.5.6 Framemaker on Win95 PC, everything works fine,
>graphics display, PS & PDF are fine. But open the document on a MAC version
>of Framemaker and the .bmp graphics lost thier links & can't be displayed
>(gray boxes only).

The problem: BMP graphics are only supported on Windows.
My advice for anyone doing cross-platform publishing, or simply moving
FM files from one platform to another (PC/Mac/UNIX) is:

Read the online help manual titled "Using FM products on multiple
platforms" or "Working on Multiple Platforms". This is available from
the FM main Help screen (Help > Contents) by selecting Online Manuals.
In this manual, at least read the sections "Preparing for cross-platform
compatibility" and "Using graphics"!

To avoid having graphics appearing as gray boxes, you have two main
choices:
* only use graphics formats supported on all platforms
* check the FM preference "Save FrameImage with imported graphics"
The preference can make the FM files much larger, but a version of each
graphics is added that can be viewed on all platforms.

Let me also comment on Dov Isaacs excellent list of advice:

From: Dov Isaacs <isaacs@Adobe.COM>
Subject: More general cross-platform graphics rules
>This is really just part of the rules for ensuring the ability
>to deal with graphics and documents in a cross-platform world.
>For graphics, these include:
>
>(1) For bitmap images, use TIFF and JPEG formats using the options
>in programs such as Photoshop to suffix the filename with .TIF or .JPG
>as appropriate so that Windows systems can identify the file.

TIFF: Beware that there are many different versions of the TIFF format.
You may encounter the problem that a TIFF graphic produced by some
software cannot be displayed correctly in FM, even in version 5.5.6.

JPEG: This format is primarily intended for "real-world" images, like
photographs, not for "artificial" images like screen captures. If you
use an unsuitable compression factor when saving JPEG files for such
images, the results may be quite unsatisfactory.

>(2) For vector graphics, use EPS, saved with an 8-bit TIFF "PC"
>preview

Unless you also may be using a UNIX platform, in which case you should
use a preview in EPSI format. This is also covered in the online
manual about cross-platform compatibility.

Thomas Michanek, [Michagon], Linkoping, Sweden
Documentation Consultant, FrameMaker/UNIX expert
EMAIL:  mailto:Thomas.Michanek@telia.com
WWW:    http://go.to/framers , or go directly to:
        http://w1.133.telia.com/~u13304072/framers