RE: Brad's policies

On the topic of too many "junk" posts to "the other"
Framer's list:
I suppose I wouldn't be allowed to post such comments
on the other list, but, anybody who's feeling brave
can forward with my blessing.  :-)

The Copy Editors' List, CE-L has a (partial) solution
that I like. They have some standard categories, with
some standard abbreviations to use in the Subject line.
CEL-ists are a tremendously chatty bunch, but no
list-member needs to be bothered by topics or categories
s/he doesn't like.

Surely it couldn't be too hard to come up with a
list of useful categories into which most FrameUsers posts
would fall? That could include one or two "catch-all"
categories, like :HUMOR and :MISC or :WOT (way off
topic).

The rule would be that you start the Subject of
each post with one of the category abbreviations,
followed by your "real" subject.

Subj: :WOT - There's a car in the lot with lights on

Everybody has mail readers capable of applying
filtering rules, based on the occurrence of specific
character strings in the Subject line.  Don't they?

Brad probably wouldn't need to interfere -- simple
peer pressure would keep people using the categories
if they were useful. Nobody would feel censored;
they'd merely have to label their stuff.

You could even have a category for dumb newbie
questions that turn out to be real posers, after
all, so that they could bypass the usual filters.
So, for the first few rounds of mailing, the only
people who would see a message with :ToC in the
header would be people who like to help newbies.
Then, when the problem turned out to be a "real"
one, one of those old-timers could re-post with
:TUFF in front of :ToC... in front of the rest of
the Subject line... or some such.

Subj::TUFF:ToC - My ToC inverts halfway down the page

After all, the people who are complaining about
seeing the same newbie crud over and over must
have the mental capacity to create keywords and
categories for those "same old" posts that they
abhor, don't they?
The list-owner could compile the supplied category
abbreviations into one of his rules, posted as an
"in case y'all were wondering" monthly Admin message
to the list, and in the "Welcome to the List" message.

The number of posts would remain the same, I suppose,
over on FrameUsers, but those who don't want to
see most of them would not need to -- their mail-
reader filtering rules would toss all but the real
gems and posers... to which they could then respond
with a sage... "Gee, I don't know.  I never
figured that one out either..."      Ahem!...   :-)

Hmm.  Yeah.  Some people would thus never see
anything but single messages on any topic (the
original request) followed by deathly silence).
The rest of us would see the general fooferaw,
but ... nicely labelled for when we are pressed
for time.

Well, *I* like it, so there!

Cheers,

/k