Re: Inserting and special character such as the "times" symbol

At 06:15 PM 1/20/00 -0800, mikeboyd@erols.com wrote:
>Hello Framers,
>
>This users group has been really helpful. My question I've been working on
>for a week is as follows: I group has a DTD and EDD provided by the
>customer. How can I insert the "times symbol" or "greater than symbol" in
>FrameMaker+SGML? If I insert a "5" and hit FONT, then Zapg, I get the times
>symbol. However, As the EDD is being revised each week, when I reimport it,
>the changes are lost. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
The default version of the read/write rules for the ISOnum entity set (file
isonum.rw in directory $SGMLDIR\isoents) defines the two symbols you
describe above as follows:

entity "gt" is fmchar 0x3d;
entity "times" is fmchar 0xb4 in "FmSymbol";

Where: gt is the greater than symbol
                      and
       times is the multiplication symbol

FmSymbol is a character format tag that specifies the
       Symbol font. This tag must be in the character catalog
       of any document you export to SGML and any template you use
       to import SGML documents into FM+SGML. You must apply this
       character tag to produce any character that must be produced
       using the Symbol font.

The first line of your main read/write rules file should be the following:
        #include "isoall.rw"
This statement is needed to include all of the PUTLIC ISO character entities
(including ISOnum) in your main read/write rules file

On export to SGML, the above read/write rules will convert the two symbols
to entity references (> and ×). On import into FM+SGML, those
entity references will be converted back to the times and gt symbols.

In order for the above import/export actions to occur, you must also invoke
and declare the ISOnum external parameter entity in your DTD, as follows:

     <!ENTITY % ISOnum PUBLIC
       "ISO 8879-1986//ENTITIES Numeric and Special Graphic//EN">
     %ISOnum;

     | Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646