Re: !!! FrameMaker für Linux !!!

At 10:50 AM -0500 12/15/99, Sarah O'Keefe wrote:

>Adobe has made a beta version of FrameMaker for Linux available for
>download. Information and the link is already available at the
>(frame-users.de) site.
>
>Here's the link on Adobe's site:
>
>http://www.adobe.com/products/framemaker/fmlinux.html

The download page went live this morning at 5:00a Pacific time. You can view the official Adobe press release at

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/199912/19991215linux.html

I've attached a copy of the release notes below, which are included in the main .tar.gz file.

Merry Christmas. <g>

...Lee

: Lee Richardson      : mailto:lhr@adobe.com : +1 408.536.6412     :
: Dev Mgr, FrameMaker : Adobe Systems, Inc   : +1 408.537.5113 fax :

From ./FM556_linux/README
ReadMe for Adobe FrameMaker® 5.5.6b226

Thank you for trying Adobe FrameMaker 5.5.6 for Linux beta software.
This ReadMe document lists what's available in this release, known
bugs and workarounds, and where to go for more information.

The 5.5.6 Linux release of FrameMaker is based on the FrameMaker
5.5.6p145 Unix release. It provides core document creation and layout
features, saves and prints, and can exchange documents with other
versions of FrameMaker through either FASL or MIF. Specific features
include:

* FM 5.5.6 application supporting FASL (binary) and MIF (interchange)
  file formats
* English (US, UK) dictionaries and hyphenation
* PostScript fonts and printing to PostScript-based printers
* Color libraries, including Pantone
* Standard FM clients (HTML Export, WordCount, FMBatch, ...)
* PNG and JPEG import filters based on NetPBM filter set

This beta release does not include the following:

* Acrobat Distiller
* Text or graphic import or export through Inso or Itedo filters
* Localized user interfaces (e.g., French, German, Japanese)
* Authoring in Japanese, Chinese, or Korean
* Adobe Online or PlacedPDF support

System Requirements

* Intel® Pentium processor or greater
* 32Mb RAM, 64Mb or greater recommended
* 80-150Mb RAM + swap space recommended
* 100Mb available hard disk space

* Linux OS with glibc 2.0.7 or better (glibc 2.1 or better recommended)
* portmap/rpcbind services installed (RFC 1833)
* X Windows System X11R5 or later (for XFree86, version 3.3.x or better)

Adobe FrameMaker 5.5.6 for Linux has been tested against Caldera 2.2,
Red Hat 6.1, and SuSE 6.1.

Setup

Installation instructions and licensing setup are documented in the
email you received with your registration number. If you need a
license, please use this URL:

   http://www.adobe.com/products/framemaker/fmlinux.html

Known Bugs

This release contains the following known issues:

* Graphic export through HTML or XML is not supported

* KB Shortcut Shift-Tab, to move the focus backward through a dialog,
  does not work

* Some navigational keys--Home, Pg Dn, Pg Up, Home, End, arrows--don't work

Reporting Problems

Please note that Adobe FrameMaker 5.5.6 Beta for Linux is not a
supported product, as described in the Beta End User License
Agreement included with the product. Adobe Technical Support will not
be able to answer questions or solve problems you may run into.

However, we would like feedback! If you find bugs or have other items
you would like us to know, please use:

   mailto:fmlinux@adobe.com

We cannot personally respond to your comments, but appreciate any
information you care to send us about your experiences with
FrameMaker on Linux.

For More Information

Please use the following URLs for more information about Adobe, Adobe
FrameMaker, or Adobe FrameMaker on Linux.

General Adobe information
   http://www.adobe.com

The FrameMaker home page
   http://www.adobe.com/products/framemaker/main.html

FrameMaker on Linux
   http://www.adobe.com/products/framemaker/fmlinux.html

Getting Technical Information

Adobe provides easy access to several large databases of technical
notes and support issues. These databases contain information created
by Adobe Technical Support and Customer Service regarding commonly
asked technical questions and general information about Adobe
products and programs.

This information is available from the following sources:

* From the World Wide Web. Use your Web browser to access
  http://www.adobe.com/supportservice/custsupport/database.html

* From the FaxYI FAX system, which can fax a document to you. Call
  206-675-6137 and follow the prompts.

* From the automated "techdocs" e-mail service, which can e-mail a
  document to you. Send an e-mail to techdocs@adobe.com and request the
  index by putting the number 100099 in the subject line.