Escaping Special Characters in Index Markers

Dear Framers,

The FrameMaker book I am indexing uses a special font to represent the
characters on a keyboard. Some of these characters are mapped to characters
used to separate parts of an index marker (for example, ;, <, and >). So,
following the standard way of entering an index marker, I have been entering
markers like this: <Keyboard Character Font>;<Default Para Font>[1],
<Keyboard Character Font>><Default Para Font>[1]and so on. Not surprisingly,
Frame ignores such markers when it generates the index.

Does anyone know a way of escaping characters like ;, < and > so that they
are read literally by Frame rather than as part of the structure of the
index marker.

Thanks

Geoff