Re: ?? Frame->PS->PDF->PS Distiller 300 dpi limit??

If the "Distiller Assistant" printer is limiting you to a setting of
300 dpi, you clearly have that printer setup with the wrong PPD, plain
and simple. You should run the AdobePS 4.2.6 (or 4.2.4 or 4.2.5 if either
of those are already installed) setup program and create a new printer
instance that uses the Distiller's PPD (ADSTILL.PPD as I recall) in the
Distiller's XTRAS directory. That should offer you a range of resolution
settings.

Having said that, it is also true that those resolution settings ONLY
effect the generation of PostScript for images, not for text and not
for any vector artwork. Thus, if you have no images in your document,
then resolution setting are somewhat irrelevant.

Without samples to physically look at and the files, it is impossible
to know if you "lost" anything going through PDF. If the final output
meets your quality standards, it really makes no difference.

Why is the printing of PDF faster? In the process of creating PDF,
you are eliminating quite a bit of duplication and waste in the
original PostScript files. The Distiller was named such because
it "distilled" the original PostScript down into its essence, the
graphical objects, possibly downsampled and compressed, without
duplication of font definitions, programmatic constructs, etc.

With regards to your comments about the costs of printers, I would
like to assure you and others that Adobe licensing fees are NOT
the factor in any significant price differentiations between Adobe
implementations and clones. In terms of your 1 cent per page (what
size, both sides?) cost, virtually every monochrome laser sold
today should fit that bill quite easily if all you include is
service and toner, unless your laser print engine is a real dog!
Except for the high end Docutechs and their ilk, virtually all
modern-day monochrome laser printers have exceptionally high
duty cycles and are almost totally self-serviceable.

Given that I don't have your print stream to actually analyze,
I cannot tell you whether the 36ppm to 5ppm degradation is reasonable
or not. Many factors influence such performance and remote diagnosis
is futile.

         - Dov