Re: Warnock's speech

At 10:46 AM 11/5/99 -0500, Larry Kollar wrote:
>>     2. That immediately begs the question: How much longer will he be at
>>Adobe?
>>     3. He never referred to FrameMaker as part of the solution to any of
>>Adobe's future challenges. As a matter of fact, he repeatedly emphasized that
>>the growth of paperless information
>> is outstripping the growth of paper documents (by a 10-1 factor).
>
>Well, he *did* talk about how FrameMaker is simply the best way to
>generate full-featured PDFs. And being Adobe's CEO, I'm sure his
>vision involves replacing paper with PDF....
My reading of the speech led me to conclude that Warnock has his
head up his ( ! )

Anyone who believes that reading complex information on a computer monitor
is better than reading it in a well designed book is severely twisted, and
that's never going to change. One does not carefully read and reread
something serious or complex or important on a computer screen.

Brad, in his never-ending feverish greed, made that point by depriving us
all of the capability to print Warnock's speech (he's actually copyrighted
Warnock's words under the Falcon Interactive name!). The best reason for
reading stuff on a monitor is to quickly separate the chaff from the wheat.
You print the wheat and toss the chaff. But then, Warnock's speech really
didn't say much about anything, so it didn't, in the long run, matter that
Brad prevented us from printing it.

Doing serious reading on the web is an oxymoron. The web is the domain of
the Ritalin-deprived. FrameMaker is designed to produce documents to be read
by those who aren't. What I got from Warnock's talk is that Frame products
don't fit that well into Adobe's master plan for delivering content to the
Attention-Deficit-Disordered masses.
     | Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646