Re: why tifs in Frame docs?

Hi Maxim,

I beg to differ ... there are good reasons for use of TIFF and PS.  It
all depends upon your goals.  It is not "just" a matter of belief.

(NOTE: The "EPS" designation is a file format and not a statement of the
type of image represented by that file format.  "EPS" images can be
vector (such as from Illustrator) or bitmap (such as from PhotoShop).)

In addition to Dov's comments, which I have NOT included in the
following,...

TIFFs

  POSITIVES: They are easy, fast, supported by virtually all programs,
can be printed on just about any kind of printer, and have a reasonably
small file size even when high resolution.

  NEGATIVES: Each application software (such as FrameMaker) does it's
own interpretation of HOW it should print a TIFF image.  How your image
looks on the printer is up to the programmers at each different
application software company.  YOU DO NOT CONTROL THAT.  Also, it is my
understanding that TIFF files cannot contain vector images -- everything
MUST be/is bitmap.  Thus IF your images would be suitable for a vector
approach (i.e. they are scalable and will have the same printed
resolution regardless of how large or small you have made them) you
cannot make use of that possibility.

EPSs

  POSITIVES: The EPS file format ("Encapsulated PostScript") can contain
either vector or bitmap image types; thus your "line drawing" type of
graphics will print at your printers highest possible resolution (as
defined by the printer driver) regardless of how large or small you have
scaled the image. The application software ONLY "messes with" the header
of the EPS image file -- all of the description of how to print the
image is contained within the EPS format itself.  An image printed (to
the very same device) from five different programs *should* print
identically.

  NEGATIVES: Non-Postscripte-capable programs and devices cannot handle
EPS images.  For example, to my knowledge a plain old HP printer cannot
print an EPS image.  Also, I remember one pagination/imposition program
that could not impose a booklet that contained EPS images.  EPS file
sizes are typically twice as large as a normal non-compressed TIFF file
(they use up a lot of disk space).  EPS files have either ASCII or
Binary encoding; you have to be careful which you choose because SOME
application software and some network systems cannot handle the Binary
encoding.  (In the stranger-than-fiction category can you believe that
Win95 ADOBE PageMaker 6.5 cannot handle a Binary-encoded EPS file --
these are the folks that brought us EPS!)

Our choice has been to use EPS images because we produce
printed-on-demand books.  The EPS images that we used back in the
Ventura Publisher days still print the same (when printed to the same
equipment - ha!) when printed from FrameMaker.  Because the (laser)
printers are upgraded as fast as the application software, some might
consider this a moot point, HOWEVER, you can make global "transfer"
changes to a new laser printer to calibrate it for a certain visual
effect.

Jay

"Volkov, Maxim" wrote:

> These are religious wars. What needs to be done is having some, say,
> screenshots converted to different formats and printed via FM.
> Result is evident- tiff is the best (for me, though:-). But I personally
> use gif as WWP does not know of tiff but eats gifs with appetit and nice
> outcome. Test yourself
> Max

Jay Smith

e-mail: Jay@JaySmith.com