Re: Aligning autonumbers

At 08:52 AM 10/26/99 -0400, Cindi Carver-Futch wrote:
>How can I make a sequential series of autonumbers (e.g., procedure step
>numbers) align on the decimal? Right now they align to the left; nothing
>I've tried so far has worked and I haven't found anything in the archive.
>Our autonumber format is (<n+>.\t).
I assume that your autonumbering specification is actually as shown below,
since it would make no sense to have the tab stop before the right paren.
Proceed as follows:

1. Change the autonumbering specification from:
              (n+.)\t
   to:
              \t(n+.)\t

2. Set the first (right-aligned) tab stop at 0.35", and set the second
(left-aligned) tab stop at about 0.45" (these settings work for a 12-point
text size, where the number and the decimal are enclosed in parens). They
should be adjusted for larger or smaller type sizes, or for numbers that are
not enclosed in parens). For example, if the step numbers are not enclosed
in parens, the first tab stop would be set to 0.2", and the second tab stop
would be set to 0.35" for 12-point text.

With these settings, the left parens in steps 1 thru 9 will be indented from
the left margin, and steps 10 and up will have their left parens flush left.
The decimals in all steps are aligned.

Of course, if the procedure has fewer than 10 steps, the numbers all appear
to be anomolously indented, but that's the price you must pay for alignment
on the decimal. Or, alternatively, you can have two sets of paragraph tags
for steps---one for procedures with fewer than 10 steps, and the other for
those with more than 10.
     | Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646