Re: save as xml/ external x-refs?

hi all,

thanks for your quick replies!

>At 01:31 PM 10/12/99 -0700, Dan Emory wrote:
> >It is a limitation of FM+SGML that you cannot, in an exported SGML document
> >instance, have cross-references to documents that are external to that
> >document instance. You must export the entire book, containing all the
> >referenced files, to a single SGML document instance.

what we are doing for the time being - takes time, but does the job.

>There is no way to
> >change this behavior using read/write rules,

so i can stop trying. thanks for the info!

At 01:08 13.10.99 , Lynne A. Price wrote:
>Dan,
>   Sure it's possible to write an FDK client to export external
>cross-references the way you want them. However, you must design
>what results you want. You cannot use ID/IDREF attributes. The value
>of an IDREF attribute according to the SGML standard must be the same
>as that of an ID attribute of some element in the same document.
>If you cannot ensure that the cited element is in the same SGML
>document, you must define another convention.

true. but in our case we are doing it in xml for the purpose of having the
exported xml parsed by a frontier/usertalk-script and replace external
links with something else. so i am not too worried about sgml-syntax - all
i need is the info in the x-ref _somehow_ and _consistent_ :)

>  Furthermore, a
>FrameMaker+SGML cross-reference always cites a location in another
>FrameMaker document. Can you be sure that other document will also
>be converted to SGML? The answer to this question (which depends
>on your environment) is important import to your design.

understood, but again: no strict sgml here, but something homebrewn... :)

thanks for the input,
regards,

tobi