RE: Conversion of Word documents to structured frame documents

Kevin's description sounds like the real world to me. We can yell all we
want that there's a better way, but widespread acceptance of that better way
is still a long way off. In the meantime, piecemeal solutions such as better
tools for things like round-tripping between Word and FrameMaker are needed.
At 04:10 PM 4/12/99 -0400, Kevin McLauchlan wrote:
>That sounded like a "whoops" to me...
>
>Mr. Finger said:
>
>	****[snip]****
>	Arguing about whether Microsoft will take over the world because
>FM+SGML
>	and Word can't cleanly round trip is like arguing how many camels
>can be
>	taught to ride bicycles -- fascinating but pointless.  Does Dan
>seriously
>	contend that Ericssons (100 000 employees), HP (96 000 employees),
>Boeing
>	and other civilian and military manufacturers everywhere, the
>Australian
>	Defence Forces and other militias everywhere, the Australian Federal
>	Parliament and national legislatures everywhere, Melbourne
>University (35
>	000 undergraduates) and other universities everywhere (are you
>getting my
>	drift by now), are going to dump FM+SGML for Word?
>	****[snip]****
>

>I worked for Ericsson in Montreal from 1991 'til August '98.
>We were a Word house (having changed from - mostly -
>WordPerfect, in order to mollify Ericsson in Dallas).
>
>When I started, the vast majority of developers used SUN
>stations, but before I left, the change was well on, to switch to
>a mostly NT shop in Montreal, Toronto, Richardson (Dallas), others.
>
>We constantly swapped docs among the several thousand
>employees in Canada, the ten(s of) thousand(s) in the USA,
>Sweden, Ireland, India, Australia.... you get the idea.
>The format was Word, with occasionally some of the other
>business units being behind us in adopting the latest version
>of Word.
>
>I didn't see the other locales, so I can account only for
>Ericsson Montreal, when I say copies of FrameMaker
>were about as plentiful and common as hen's teeth. But
>when we sent and received docs, nobody groaned
>about Word, and nobody EVER said "hang on while I
>import it into FrameMaker".
>
>I'm sure there were user-doc groups all over the place
>using FrameMaker, but every engineering document
>and support document that went between/among us, or
>out to our customers (I worked for the Technical
>Assistance Center [TAC]) was either a Word document
>or something off a Unix station (but that last was rarer).
>
>We had something called EDML (Ericsson Document
>Markup Language), which for-god-knows-what-reasons
>was some strange-not-quite-compatible offshoot of SGML,
>and used Text-and-Graphics Tool (TAG-Tool) on Sun,
>which was said to be a "corporate standard" -- as in
>corporate worldwide.  That one was always resisted in
>Canada (and much of the US, I understand...) and was
>probably a big part of the reaction that swung us toward
>WP and then Word.
>
>A couple of years before I left, there began a big push
>to:
>
>a) convert any still-useful EDML docs over to SGML
>
>b) begin having everybody do all documents in SGML

> [...]
     | Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646