Re: Breaking the graphics link

On Fri, 09 Apr 1999 10:29:09 -0500, "Craig Ede" <craig.ede@medtronic.com> wrote:

>----
>That's very sad.  I hope they realize that they are certain to lose all
>the graphics, in some or all of the documents, this way.  Without any
>warning, and without any possibility of recovery.  Just so they know.
>---
>
>Jeremy overstates the case here. We use copied graphics almost always,
>and the problems we've had relating to them disappearing were due to
>disk quota issues.

Yes, they disappear if you run out of space on your temp drive.  We do
that a few times a year, usually after some out-of-control process
fills it up with garbage, and before we notice and clean it up.  It
always takes a little while before we realize what happened, during
which we are merrily editing Frame files.  That's when we would be in
danger, if we weren't fanatical about only using referenced graphics.

If you are sure that you have current backups, and a list of which one
went where, maintained up to date through all revisions (as this info
is not in the Frame file for copied graphics, only for referenced),
then you can recover from this problem in only a couple hours per file.
What?  You have 500 files, and a deadline tomorrow, which was why you
ran out of space?  Too bad...

We don't think we're overstating the seriousness of this.  We wonder
if any of the poor souls who have had the experience, and who posted
to Framers hoping for a quick fix (which was not forthcoming), would
like to comment on how long it took them to recover?  And on whether
they retained their jobs afterwards?  (If you'd prefer to respond
anonymously, write us off list, and we'll summarize.)

  (jeremy@omsys.com)  http://www.omsys.com/