RE: Product enhancement requests: FrameMaker

Framers,

Let me start by saying that all the lists of requested enhancements and bug
fixes I'm getting are great and I really appreciate you summarizing your
needs to Adobe and I.

Secondly, I want to make sure I set your expectations realistically.  The
feature set for enhancements, bug fixes, etc. for the next release of
FrameMaker and FrameMaker+SGML are set and being implemented and have been
for a few of months.

You'll be happy to know that when you see the next release you'll recognize
many of the items from your lists. Those items from the lists that don't
make it in to this release are still valuable as we map our development
efforts beyond this release.

Please understand that enhancement and bug fix requests are not rejected.
They get prioritized. Some get prioritized high, some low.  We start with
high priority and work our way down the list.  The amount of development and
QA resources available determines how far down the list we get. As you
probably already know or can guess, enhancement requests and bug fixes are
prioritized by several factors, such as, the number affected users,
productivity impact to users, availability and ease of a workaround, cost to
implement, etc.  We really do try to put in as much as we can so that the
maximum number of users gets the maximum benefit.  But at the same time we
have to work within the constraints of time and resources.

With a product the size and complexity (including language localizations and
OS platform support) of FrameMaker (+SGML) there is an enormous overhead in
every piece of a FrameMaker (+SGML) CD that we touch.  So even apparently
"simple" things can be expensive to implement.

As I've mentioned in the past I can't comment on the next release, but as
soon as I can I will disclose as much as I can.

Regards,

Mark

B. Mark Hilton
Group Manager, FrameMaker Marketing