RE: What the Distiller warning really means

Dina, Dan, et al.,

Dan wrote:

> Yes, that's what I mean.
>
> At 09:16 AM 12/8/98 -0800, Dina Davidson wrote:
> >Dan, when you say 2 or more links to the same node, do you mean when there
> >is, say, a Heading that has a TOC marker and several x-refs to it?
> >If so, thanks for the info.  I didn't know that!

But that is not what the warning message means.  The warning message
is trying to say that there are two or more 'nodes' (which there
shouldn't be).  That is, one Heading has, say, hypertext links to it,
specified by a newlink named 'heading1'.  Another heading has other
hypertext links to it, specified by =another= newlink also named
'heading1'.  The distiller knows that newlinks should be unique, so it
warns you when there is more than one newlink with the same name.  Acrobat
does its best with this situation:  it uses the first newlink it finds,
even if it's the wrong one.

Walter Gallant
Principal Technical Writer
Ardent Software, Inc.