Re: the undo option

On 18 Nov 1998 11:23:05 -0800, Mike Coleman <mc@fivebats.com> wrote:

>I have implemented multiple undo in several programs
>and believe it is very difficult in general to retrofit this feature into a
>program that wasn't designed for it.

Quite true.  This is a point I really want to underscore:

             FrameMaker already HAS Undo!
             ---------------------------

The issue is *not* adding undo to a program designed with no thought
of it; I agree, that can be a challenging and difficult task.  But it
ISN'T the task at hand!  For FrameMaker, the need is to **extend**
the existing single-level undo to handle multiple levels, no more,
no less.  Sure, after we have that, we'll want to enhance it, what
else is new?  But that *limited* task is what I, along with many
others on and off list, have been advocating!  And that's easy!

It just isn't relevant to worry about how hard multiple undo would
be if Frame had no undo at all.  It isn't time yet to be concerned
with the impact of other improvements that might be wanted *after*
a basic, support-only-what's-undoable-now, multiple undo is added.
That only obfuscates the issue before us.

  (jeremy@omsys.com)  http://www.omsys.com/