Customization (was Keystrokes for Scrolling)

Everything that Dave Valiulis is 100% correct & very useful, but you
might think that the following is a little easier and will
*potentially* better survive FM upgrades.

(This if for Win95, tested in 55 and 553 -- I am ignorant of the
method on other platforms.)

1) If you are already using additional custom configuration of FM, you
will already have a file named:

  ... /fminit/configui/customui.cfg

If so, you can simply add these two lines to the file (make a backup
first; I would *not* have FM running when you open any of these .cfg
files).

  <Modify GotoNextScreen        <KeySequence    /PgDn   > >
  <Modify GotoPreviousScreen    <KeySequence    /PgUp   > >

If you put them in the CUSTOMUI.CFG file, then there is no need to
make any changes in the WINCMDS.CFG file.

2) If you have not yet customized FM, you can create the CUSTOMUI.CFG
file.  Use a text editor or other program that can SAVE AS ORDINARY
TEXT.  Create the file in the directory with the other FM
configuration files:

  ... /fminit/configui/customui.cfg

Type the following two lines in the file:

  <Modify GotoNextScreen        <KeySequence    /PgDn   > >
  <Modify GotoPreviousScreen    <KeySequence    /PgUp   > >

NOTES:

A) Using this method NOT require you to change the WINCMDS.CFG file --
the information in this CUSTOMUI.CFG file is read last and overrides
when there are any conflicts.

B) WHEN UPGRADING YOUR FM, you ***MUST*** copy this CUSTOMUI.CFG file
to safety (outside the FM directory structure) before you upgrade.
After upgrading, first make sure that your FM works properly.  Then
copy this file into place with the other config files and test again
that the new version of FM still works properly.  There is no
guarantee that such customization will be compatible with future FM
versions.

C) If you were to edit any other files than this CUSTOMUI.CFG file,
you will have much more work to do after an FM upgrade.  New versions
of FM probably do/will use updated CFG files and thus you will loose
all your changes.  Unless there are compelling reasons otherwise, I
suggest using the CUSTOMUI.CFG approach.

D) For further information on such customization, go to Help, Online
Manuals, Customizing FM Products.  The documentation is reasonably
good at telling you structurally how to do stuff, but it is a little
obtuse and does not give you much help with specific customization
tasks or "what you should do".  (Adobe Folks: This doc would be a good
area for enhancement.)

E) On my PC, in Explorer, double clicking on a .cfg files launches
Wordpad, but all "buzzes" the floppy drive for no good reason.  Note
that when you save the file, you MUST SELECT REGULAR "TEXT".

--
Jay Smith

e-mail: jay@jaysmith.com

The Press for History(tm), The Press for Education(tm),
The Press for [Your Industry](tm), The Press for....(tm)
  On-demand printing and binding of hardbound books.
  Minimum run one copy.

P.O. Box 650
Snow Camp, NC  27349  USA

Phone: Int+US+336-376-9991
Toll-Free Phone in US & Canada:
        1-800-447-8267
Fax: Int+US+336-376-6750

Eric J. Stoffer wrote:

> That is extra cool!!!  Thanks for the tip.
>
> Is that, and other command customizations documented anywhere?  The online
> manuals describe modifying the wincmds file, but I could not find all the
> commands.
>
> Thanks Eric Stoffer
>
> dave valiulis wrote:

> > And if you want the PgUp andPgDn keys to work, you can simply modify the
> > wincmds.cfg file. Here's how:
> >
> > 1. Exit from FM.
> >
> > 2. Copy the wincmds.cfg file out of the fminit/configui folder.
> >
> > 3. Rename the original file to something like wincmds.cfg.backup.
> >
> > 4. Open the COPY in FM (or any text editor) and search for GotoNextPage
> >
> >    You'll find a section that has two lines that look like this:
> >
> >   <Modify GotoNextPage  <KeySequence    /PgDn   > >
> >   <Modify GotoPreviousPage      <KeySequence    /PgUp           > >
> >
> > 5. Change the lines to read this instead:
> >
> >   <Modify GotoNextScreen        <KeySequence    /PgDn   > >
> >   <Modify GotoPreviousScreen    <KeySequence    /PgUp           > >
> >
> > 6. Save this file as TEXT, using the same name (wincmds.cfg).
> >
> > 7. Move the modified file back into fminit/configui.
> >
> > 8. Restart FM and enjoy the bliss of having PgUp and PgDn do what they
> > should do.
> >
> > hope this helps.
> > --dv

Jay Smith