Re: finding fonts

>I am trying to recreate a frame installation for a manual created in 5.0.  I
>have installed it on my mac and successfully opened the files.  They used a
>whole bunch of special fonts (boy, I hate when people do that) which were
>then mapped.  I have tracked the purchase order to see what fonts were
>purchased.  I am assuming they used some version of type on call (3.0 or
>4.1) from the time frame of the document creation.
>
>Now here are my two questions...Is there a way to figure out what version of
>type on call was used or what the key was for each font.  If not I can call
>Adobe and trace it through their records but if there is any way it would
>save me some hassle.

As far as I know you have only two possibilities.  Unless you can find the
fax that was sent with the typeface key(s), or possibly the prefs file from
the Mac where Type On Call was used, which should contain it and allow you
to access, then I can't think of any other way to gain access.  Even with
the prefs file you'll need the front end from the CD, so if you don't have
the CD (sounds like you don't or you would know the version), then you're
in a bind.  It sounds like a call to Adobe may be the only way out.  Are
you sure that they didn't archive those fonts somewhere?  In the rare
instance when we use some non-standard (not to corporate spec) font in a
document, then a copy of the font(s) travel with the book in a subfolder to
avoid just this kind of distress.

Bill