Encore: draft of posting protocol

Due to the number of new subs since this was posted this morning, here it
is again.  There was a bit of reaction to this thinking we were going to be
rule bound.  Nothing could be farther from the truth.  These four
categories of post were the subject of hot debate on the old list about two
years ago and the job posting protocol was agreed to (i.e., no stated
dissent).  It was extended to cover things that constitute advertising.  As
far as other stuff goes, let common courtesy be your guide.

Having said that, these are up for discussion.

It was suggested that we also make a simple template for submission.  The
thought behind this is that people get better fastser answers if they
provide more information about the problem: platform, OS, frame version,
etc.  If some one wants to crank one of those out and post it, go for it.
No requirement to use it, just makes it easier for people to help if you do.

Here's this morning's post.
***************************

fframers,

Since I wrote the job posting protocol for the other framers list it seemed
reasonable to use it as a jumping off point to develop similar ones for
this list.  While it's never possible to satisfy everyone, these protocols
are intended to strike a balance between outright banning of this type of
post and an open free-for-all where anything goes.  If you've got
suggestions as to how these could be improved, additions that could be
made, or just want to voice approval, then please post.  Quite a bit of
thought went into the Job Posting Protocol, but the others are new so there
may be things I left out. These are a first round and will be updated based
on input from the list.

- web

**********

JOB POSTING PROTOCOL

We request that employers and agencies abide by the following protocol for
job postings.

Job ads can be posted subject to the following conditions:

1. Frame expertise must be a pivotal requirement for the job or contract.

2. The words Job Ad or words to that effect must appear in the subject line.

3. The location of the Job should also appear in the subject line and it
should be unambiguous (e.g., is it Cambridge, England, or Cambridge,
Massachusetts).

4. The ad should be as short as possible, giving only the main points, with
contact information (phone, fax, e-mail, web site ad) given for those who
wish to follow up and obtain details.

5. It must be stated whether or not the job is a contract position or a
full time employee position.

6. Any agency advertising on the list must *clearly* identify themselves as
an agency and not the final employer.

7. Agencies are NOT be permitted to advertise for jobs that don't exist;
i.e., this should not be a place from which to populate your files with
names and resumes of prospective hires for as yet unidentified clients.

8. If it is possible to telecommute or work remotely, this should also be
stated (with the state of communications today, physically relocating is
not always required, and is often not desirable).

**********

TRAINING ANNOUNCEMENT PROTOCOL

We request that trainers abide by the following protocol for job postings.

1. Frame must be relevant to the training being offered.

2. The word TRAINING or COURSE must appear in the subject line.

3. The location of the training should also appear in the subject line and
it should be unambiguous (e.g., is it Cambridge, England, or Cambridge,
Massachusetts).

4. The ad should be as short as possible, giving only the main points
(place, dates, cost, and type of training offered), with contact
information (phone, fax, e-mail, web site ad) given for those who wish to
follow up and obtain details.

5. Detailed course outlines should not be posted to the list.

7. Trainers are NOT permitted to advertise for training that is
unscheduled, that is, it can't be announced with the hope that if there are
enough replies, it will then be offered.

**********

NEW PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT PROTOCOL

We request that vendors abide by the following protocol for new product
announcements.

1. The product must be one that is used in some capacity in conjunction
with FrameMaker (i.e., import or export filters, plug-ins, etc.).  Use your
judgement. We don't need announcments about new versions of Photoshop, even
though many of us use it.

2. The words NEW PRODUCT or something to that effect must appear in the
subject line.

3. The product should be one that is new to market or a significant upgrade
to an existing product.

4. The announcement should be as short as possible, giving only the main
points (name, version, price, what it does), with contact information
(phone, fax, e-mail, web site ad) given for those who wish to follow up and
obtain details.

5. Comprehensive functional details should NOT be posted to the list.

**********

WORK WANTED AD PROTOCOL

We request that frame professionals abide by the following protocol for
work wanted postings.

1. Type of work sought should be stated.

2. The words WORK WANTED or something to that effect must appear in the
subject line.

3. The location of the individual should also appear in the subject line
and it should be unambiguous (e.g., is it Cambridge, England, or Cambridge,
Massachusetts).

4. The notice should be as short as possible, giving only the main points
(place, date available, type of work wanted, whether relocation is
possible), with contact information (phone, fax, e-mail) given for those
who wish to follow up and obtain the individuals resume.

5. Complete resumes should not be posted to the list.