Re: A new type of PDF

Hi Jim,

There are a couple of angles to Acrobat form fields. First, you can use
Acrobat Professional to create the form fields in the PDF document. There
are tools for creating text fields, radio buttons, checkboxes, combo boxes,
and other field types. Acrobat has a robust JavaScript environment for
creating and manipulating the forms and resultant data.

The main problem is that if you have to recreate or make changes to your
originating document (FrameMaker, Word, etc.), you may have to redo your
forms in the resulting PDF document. If you use "Replace Pages", you can
"slide" the new content underneath the form fields, but you still may have
to reposition the form fields.

The second approach is to embed codes in your originating document that will
create the form fields automatically when the document is distilled. This
can be accomplished through "pdfmark" programming. pdfmark is an extension
to the PostScript language that allows you to create PDF items, including
form fields, during the distillation process. This eliminates the
post-processing step of creating or moving the form fields every time the
document is converted to PDF. (You can download the pdfmark Reference Manual
from http://partners.adobe.com/links/acrobat.)

Embedding pdfmark codes in FrameMaker can be accomplished in two ways: 1) By
placing pdfmark statements in FrameMaker PostScript text frames; 2) By
putting pdfmark codes in FrameMaker Hypertext markers. The second method,
which is preferable, is made possible by using MicroType's SP TimeSavers
(www.microtype.com). TimeSavers works with Acrobat Distiller to convert the
marker syntax to Acrobat form fields (and other PDF items) "on the fly" when
the FrameMaker document is distilled.

I am not sure how this would work on the Solaris platform, but you could
check with MicroType's Shlomo Perets. I have been successfully using
TimeSavers since 1997 on a wide variety of projects. I have been very happy
with it and have recommended it to many of my clients. If you have any
questions, please let me know. Thanks.

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing
585-659-8267