Re: XLink Rant (Long)

> What it all comes down to is that the canonical simple
> cross-reference link:
>              xlink:href="students.xml"
> has become the only type that is used in most XML
> document instances, despite the fact that the Xlink
> standard also includes much more sophisticated link
> types such as extended, locator, arc, resource and
> title.

It's one of those chicken & egg things, I guess: the
browsers don't support it, so web developers aren't
going to use it, so browsers don't support it....

Frankly, 99% of us are limited to what's supported
in common HTML & PDF browsers. I agree that things
could be better, but until (say) Firefox starts
supporting more than simple links, we're stuck.

--
Larry Kollar, Senior Technical Writer, ARRIS CPE Products
"Content creators are the engine that drives