Re: Frame+SGML 6.0 problem

David,
The messages about the special characters probably result from attempts to use characters that your SGML declaration prohibits. The fact that the problem occurs only with some documents is likely to result from a structure or character that occurs in the problem documents but not the others. To begin debugging the problem, I would take a document that crashes, remove a chunk of the content, import the smaller version and see if it crashes FM as well. If it does, I'd remove some more; if not I'd restore part of what I'd deleted. It's often possible to isolate the cause of a crash by preparing the smallest possible document that causes it. I have seen a few cases in which the location where a crash occurs moves around as the document is edited; my recollection is that these all involved importing FrameMaker books. While FM certainly should not crash, I don't remember a case where there wasn't an error in the document.
You didn't mention whether you are using a custom API client; I assume not. If you are using your own client, of course, it is always possible for it to have a bug that causes a crash.
--Lynne