Re: FrameMaker Release 7.2

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am hopeful about the new 7.2 release, but
it is good to maintain perspective.

I am most interested in whether the DocBook Starter Kit's DocBook custom API
client has been updated. The previous one (Frame 7.1) is approaching an age
of nearly ten years and has not been functioning well.

> It's also unclear what the new XSLT support is all
> about.

Yes, because it is possible to include (or not include) so much of what XSLT
can do, I will need to use the new release myself in order to determine how
the new XSLT capabilities can help.

> The most fundamental question is whether FrameMaker
> 7.2 will deter Frameusers from moving to something
> like the extremely robust Arbotext solution?

The Arbortext solution is virtually all open-source under the hood, which may
be difficult to believe considering the price. I am not saying that is all
there is to Epic Editor, it is much more; nonetheless, Epic Editor is
essentially and fundamentally an SGML/XML-to-Tex translation system. Amazing
but true. Details available from Arbortext support, any Epic Editor
installation, or the experts often found answering questions on the Arbortext
Adepters mailing list.

I still really like FrameMaker for its easy-to-use WYSIWYG edit view, and it
is much easier to create a FrameMaker XML project than it is to create a
new , custom "doctype" in Epic Editor. Additionally, it is difficult and
expensive to create anything like a WYSIWYG edit view in Epic Editor, even if
creating the FOSI with Arbortext's Styler product. FrameMaker is much, much
better with respect to the end-user experience and what's seen on the screen.

Sometimes, GNU Emacs and the command line beats everything because it is such
a stripped-down solution that directly addresses whatever I need to do. It is
a case of less being better.

Steve Whitlatch