Re: Losing Even Pages

> I have "tried" to set the chapters in a book to "Don't Change Page Count" or
> "Delete Empty Pages" in the Pagination dialog. No matter what I do, the
> result whenever I update the book, such as updating the ToC, is some of the
> chapters revert to "Make Page Count Even" automatically every time.

When you set the Pagination properties before you update the book,
you specify how you would like the pagination to behave.
When the book later is updated, FM may encounter circumstances
that makes it impossible to fulfill your desired pagination.
In those cases, the pagination properties are reset to the value
that corresponds to the reality found in the files.
This should not be interpreted like FM does whatever it wants.

The most common source for this unexpected behavior is that FM
cannot make jumps in the pagination sequence and ignore pages.
Every single page part of the continuous "flow" of pages must
exist in FM. So, if file 1 starts on a right-hand page 1 and
contains 3 pages, it ends on the right-hand page 3. If file 2
is specified to start on a right-hand page (page 5), then the
left-hand page 4 (blank) must be inserted at the end of file 1.
It doesn't matter if you set file 1 to "Delete empty pages",
page 4 must be inserted, and FM resets the pagination to
"Make page count even" to reflect the necessary change made.

Therefore, check whether the next file(s) are specified to
start on a right-hand page. The first paragraph in the file
may have a Pagination setting of "Start on right page".

There's another possible problem: an empty page at the end
of a file cannot be deleted if it uses a Master Page other
than Right or Left, or if it contains a page layout override
to its Master Page. Check how the Master Pages are applied
to any empty, blank pages at the end of a file. Page layout
overrides are reported by first viewing Master Pages and then
going back to the Body Pages (you'll get a dialog).

I hope this was as clear as mud :-)