From: Webmaster
Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 10:37 AM
To: framers@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: screen in framemaker

Hello.

We're having an issue with Framemaker and the <screen> element.  The Rules
had the statement of "preserve line breaks;" which was incorrectly putting
in "xml:space" in the element which is invalid according to the docbook dtd.
According to http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=2111,
We removed the "preserve line breaks" so the xml is now valid.  However, we
are finding that sometimes it preserves line breakes and sometimes it
doesn't. We know there is a difference between hard and soft returns, and in
both cases, they are useing hard returns in framemaker. When they export to
XML, it is correctly using the screen element, but the line breaks are gone
in some cases. (in otherwords, interpreting the xml isn't the problem, it's
the exporting to XML.)

Has anyone come across this?

Has anyone tried to use <screen> and be able to preserve line breakes?
We're playing with programlisting, to see if that will work better for us.

LN