Re: XDocBook with different templates?

At 09:23 AM 2/28/2005, Fredrik Nyman wrote:
Now I have a problem that I can't figure out a good solution to.
Our marketing people have decided to use different colours for
different products, which means that I need to have top/bottom
page lines, table borders and other stuff in a different colour
depending on the source document (product). The rest of the
template - page layout, paragraph formats .... is the same for
all products.

Any good solution to this available? I'd like to avoid
duplicating the template file as any adjustments or additions to
the templates used would require updates of several files.

Using XML tags/attributes,

is it possible to change the color definition of objects in the
master page/reference page or somehow change the color
definition for a named color if the named color rather than the
color definition is used by framemaker for object colors?
Or is it possible to change which master page to use?

or as a worst case, is it possible to change which template file
to use for the application?

Fredrik,
Rather than duplicating all the template information, I suggest you define a color called something like ProductColor and use it to define all objects whose color changes with different products. In addition to your main template, you can then maintain color templates for each product. In the color template for a particular product, define ProductColor as appropriate for that product. Master pages, paragraph catalog, etc. in the color templates will never be used.
You can then either:

1) Prepare a product-specific template by importing color definitions from the product's color template into the main template and using the result when you import the XML document or

2) Import the XML document using the main template and import color definitions afterwards.

You can define multiple XML applications that differ only in the template they use, and could define a different application for each product. When you open an XML document then, FM will prompt for the application to use. Is that acceptable in your environment?
An EDD cannot change color definitions based on an attribute value, nor can FM select a template according to anything in the XML document except the name of the root element.
You can base the color definitions on an attribute value if you are willing to do a little programming (or hire somebody to do it). A simple custom FDK client could import color definitions from the color definition as part of the import process. A FrameScript could do so as a second step.
--Lynne

Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.
Specializing in structured FrameMaker consulting, application development, and training
lprice@xxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.txstruct.com
voice/fax: (510) 583-1505 cell phone: (510) 421-2284