RE: FrameMaker's Future

Paul, do you happen to know what the migration path might be for Frame->Epic for nonstructured docs? I've made an appointment to speak to an ArborText rep, but if she doesn't know FrameMaker and I don't know Epic, it will be difficult to get an accurate feel for what might be involved in converting large libraries. If docs need to exit Frame as SGML or XML, then Epic won't be an option for my business.

Carol

At 10:45 AM 1/13/2005 -0800, you wrote:
> relationships, attributes, quantifiers (+,*,?,%)) Are there other
> products out there that will convert XML to print with the power that
> FrameMaker provides? (Different master pages according to element, apply
> different styles based on relation of XML element, book building, page
> numbering)

> A couple days ago was the first time I had heard of Arbortext, I haven't
> had a chance to look further into the product. Does anyone know if it
> will do what I describe above?

Epic can format XML, use different master pages (page sets, in FOSI) depending on element, and use context to handle even the same element differently through FOSI and, I think, XSL/FO stylesheets.

But not without significant investment in those stylesheets.

------
Paul Nagai

Tsunami relief portal:
http://www.networkforgood.org/

***************************************** Carol J. Elkins A Written Word Making Information Understandable Phone: 719-948-3773 mailto:celkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.awrittenword.com *****************************************