Re: FrameMaker's Future

All this bleak talk of FrameMakers Future has got me wondering if there isn't another way to do our production that doesn't rely on FrameMaker.

History-
I have been using FrameMaker for 2 years and in our current production process it is vital and irreplaceable! We produce distance education courses in both print and web format. Our process begins with complete stylizing of Word documents that are then converted to XML using FrameMaker and a 6 page ConversionTable.FM document. The XML is then converted into a print course using FrameMaker (EDD and Template). A recent course that was produced was around 600 pages and was split into two volumes. The XML is then also converted to static web pages using an in-house built PERL program and HTML templates. This whole process takes about 3 hours depending on the size of the course, whereas we used to spend 2-3 months converting Word documents to Print and Web.

If FrameMaker was to be discontinued permanently, using the last released version would obviously be better than going back to the old way of doing things. Are there other products out there that will structure stylized Word documents into XML with the power that FrameMaker's conversion table provides? (creating child/parent relationships, attributes, quantifiers (+,*,?,%)) Are there other products out there that will convert XML to print with the power that FrameMaker provides? (Different master pages according to element, apply different styles based on relation of XML element, book building, page numbering)

A couple days ago was the first time I had heard of Arbortext, I haven't had a chance to look further into the product. Does anyone know if it will do what I describe above?

Framers has been a great place to get answers to problems while learning and using FrameMaker, much appreciation to you all.

Wes

--
Wes Juranek
Applications Programmer/Analyst

begin:vcard
fn:Wes Juranek
n:Juranek;Wes
org:Extended Education & Outreach;Information Systems
adr;dom:PO Box 888900;;900 N. 21st Street, Room 238;Lincoln;NE;68588
email;internet:wjuranek2@xxxxxxx
title:Applications Programer/Analyst
tel;work:(402) 472-2019
x-mozilla-html:FALSE