Inter-book links with FM > PDF

Hi folks,

This one is from a colleague. Perhaps someone can help:

My basic question is this: how do I handle inter-book links with relative paths
in a Frame->PDF transition?

I'm using Framemaker v6 on Solaris, and generating PDF files from my Frame
books. For the last couple years, I've been dealing with links between books
that deal with the same product. My structure is as follows:

a) I have all of my .book files in the same directory, with relative paths to
the individual file directories (_user, _setup, _ref, etc.).
b) I have all the .book files open when I generate PDF.
c) I always accept the default PDF filename.
d) All PDF files are stored in the same directory.

Basically, I found an article online that told me to handle inter-book links
this way, and it's worked for me.

However, now I have a new product that encompasses functionality from two other
products. All of the Framemaker files are stored in different directories. For
obvious reasons, I don't want to have to store all of my .book files for three
products in the same directory. Not only that, the PDF files are going to be
stored in different directories, based on product name. But I have to have
inter-book links working in Acrobat because I heavily cross-reference the other
products (otherwise the documentation would be a maintenance nightmare!). Is
there any way to get this to work?

I haven't done any serious work on FM-Unix since Acrobat came out. So if anyone
out there has a solution, let me know.  Thanks for any help on this one.

Becky