From: Combs, Richard [mailto:richard.combs@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 3:06 PM
To: Brady Ward; framers@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Index entries won't group up!

Brady Ward wrote:

> Ahhh, It is an APL or list of paragraphs (alphabetical). I
> did not know
> that lists didn't group!   Cha ching. Ok, if that's the case how can I
> get the index to grab all the entries in a column or of a paragraph
> format? I'm talking about 167 pages of about 30 entries per page.

To create a real index (in the book window, Add>Standard Index), you
have to insert index markers into your docs at each place that you want
indexed. The marker text for each marker must be the text you want in
the index (this is all explained in the manual and help topics on
indexing).

Doing it manually, and assuming the text in the doc is what you want in
the index:

1) Open the Marker dialog (Esc s m) and make sure Marker Type is Index.

2) In the doc, select the first text string you want in the index. It
appears in the Marker Text field of the Marker dialog.

3) In the Marker dialog, click New Marker.

4) Repeat steps 2 and 3 for each text string you want to index (i.e.,
167 x ~30 times).

Alternatively, look into an indexing plug-in. I use IXGen
(www.fsatools.com). You can tell IXGen to create index entries for a
given paragraph format or formats from the paragraph text -- for
instance, it will insert an index entry into each Head1 pgf, using the
text of the Head1 pgf as the marker text.

In your circumstances, it would probably pay for itself the first time
you use it. :-)

HTH!
Richard

------