Formatting the TOC (was Re: Kluge around format problem with long TOC entries)

sasikumar_at_adobeforums_dot_com wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> I still have the problem with TOC though explained by you twice. It
> is just generating a page of listing with some numeric numbers at
> the end of each listing. There is no respective page numbers,
> dot-leaders, subhead A, Subhead B, Subhead C alignment, and other
> usual Contents,Subject, and Page No as headings.
>
> Can you explain it in detail as this one task alone is hampering the
> final delivery???

Sasi,

I just looked at the online help for generating TOCs and can't seem
to find any info on formatting the TOC entries.  It probably
"disappeared" when the online documentation was revamped.

I typically use a TOC as one of the first files in a book.  What I
somehow found out in the past was that to format how Heading1 looks in
the TOC, you need to go to View->ReferencesPages.  Of the many
references pages there, one should be called "TOC" in the page number
field at the bottom.  It is best to view this page by turning on
View->TextSymbols.

If you put the cursor on each paragraph, one will have the paragraph
tag "Heading1TOC".  That is the one you have to modify to affect all
Heading1 entries in the TOC's Body Pages.  Likewise for Heading2,
Heading3, etc..  Heading1TOC typically consists of codes representing
the paragraph number, the paragraph text, and the page number e.g.:

<$paranum><tab><$paratext>..................................<$pagenum>

These codes show up in Heading1TOC are where the corresponding values
will show up in each TOC entry.  If you want a tab between paragraph
number and paragraph text, put a tab between the corresponding codes
in Heading1TOC, as shown above.  Likewise between paragraph text and
page number.  Make sure the tabstops are properly set up in
Heading1TOC, including any right-aligned tabs with leaders for the
page number, as above.

Though you need to go into the Reference Pages to place/remove/change
the codes, you don't have to do so just to change Heading1TOC's
paragraph format.  So if you wanted to just move the margins or tab
locations in a Heading1 entry, do this directly in the Body Pages and
then do an UpdateAll for that paragraph tag (Heading1TOC).  This works
because all Heading1 entries in the body pages have paragraph tag
Heading1TOC.  Hence, the paragraph tagged Heading1TOC in the Reference
Pages will also get updated by UpdateAll.

Good luck.  If you find out where this is documented, it might be
helpful to post it under a suitable title e.g. "Formatting TOC
entries".

Fred

Sent to comp.text.frame, framers@xxxxxxxxx, and adobe.framemaker.